Closed Season: Government postpone the ban on fishing to August 2019

Closed Season: Government postpone the ban on fishing to August 2019

Cabinet has decided to postpone the one month ban on all fishing activities in the country, which was expected to start on Tuesday, August 7th, 2018 to next year.

The Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development, Elizabeth Naa Afoley Quaye, is said to have made this known on Friday evening in a meeting with major stakeholders in the fisheries sector in Accra.

“The ban, which would have taken effect from August 7 to September 4, 2018 will now be implemented in 2019”, the Minister said.

The Minister is however urging operators in the sector to prepare and be ready to comply to the directive in August 2019 adding that government’s decision to postpone the intended close season on fishing activities following the concerns raised by industry players.

The closed season according to the Minister, Naa Afoley Quaye was meant for all fleets comprising canoes, Inshore Boats and trawlers.

Meanwhile, vessels involved in the harvesting of Tuna were exempted from the ban because they conduct their businesses deep seas and are not near areas reserved for other fleets.

Although August had been touted as the bumper season, the same period has also been described as the perfect high food production for fish to eat.

According to the Minister, when she announced the closed season early July, some fisher folks expressed misgiving about the closed season while others disagreed with the timing and lamented over the need to secure some types of fishes for their festive occasions.

Kojo Ennimil Arthur|Spicefmonline.com|Ghana

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0